Student Visa Information

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant students.

Visa information is slightly different for all countries. Following are general guidelines for International Students and Canadian Students. Please visit the American Consulate in your country for more information.

International Students

International Students will be issued a Letter of Invitation and the I-20 Certificate to apply for the M-1 Visa to attend the Meadowmount School of Music.

Do NOT apply for a B1/B2 visa as it is for tourism and cannot be used to study at the Meadowmount School of Music.

International students already studying in the USA with an F-1 visa can use the F-1 visa to attend Meadowmount as long as the status will not expire during your time at Meadowmount.

Procedures for acquiring a visa: (Canadian students see below)
1 - Meadowmount will issue the I-20 Certificate and a Letter of Invitation.

2 - When you receive your I-20 Certificate, call the American Consulate immediately and make an appointment to apply for your visa.

3 - You will need to pay a US$350.00 SEVIS Form I-901 fee. Go to to pay the fee for your M-1 visa. There may be additional fees for your visa that vary depending on your location.

4 - Go to the US Embassy or Consulate to apply for your visa on the appointment date given. 

Detailed information can be found at STUDY in the STATES.

Make sure you apply for an M1 visa. It may take several weeks to receive an interview date and to issue your visa. In order to arrive on time and to ensure the best airline fare, contact the American Consulate as early as possible.

M-1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your course of study start date. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States earlier than 30 days before your start date.

Please note that the postage charges for sending International I-20 forms will be collected upon arrival. You will receive an email with the amount due.

Canadian Students

Canadian Students do not need a Visa. You do need the I-20 and letter of Invitation to present at the border along with other information that is required.

1 - Meadowmount will issue the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. At the time you receive the I-20 you will be registered with SEVIS, the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System.

2 - After receiving the Form I-20, you must pay the US$350.00 SEVIS I-901 fee at

3 - Then you can apply for admittance at a U.S. Port Of Entry.

4 - When you cross the border to study you will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:

   A - Proof of identity and citizenship – (Canadian passport)
   B - The original I-20 certificate
   C - Letter of invitation sent to you
   D - Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee
   E - Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend
   F - Proof of your ties to Canada

Students or exchange visitors will not be admitted to the U.S. more than 30 days before the start of their study or program by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

For Canadians in the US more than 30 days before the program, you should return to Canada to re-enter with your I-20 Student Status as that will eliminate the need for costly and time-consuming processing of a change-of-status at DHS that could delay your arrival to school.

Detailed information for Canadian Students can be found at:


 Meadowmount accepts:
M-1 Visa and current status F-1 Visa from other USA Institutions

 Admitted International Students
will be sent the 1-20 Certificate and a Letter of Invitation

 After receipt of your I-20, call the American Consulate to make an appointment to apply for your visa.

Canadian Students:
Click HERE

You will need to pay the SEVIS Fee online for your M-1 visa. Click HERE.

For more information visit:

Back to top